Friday, November 25, 2011

Kid Gloves Vs. Warm Woolen Mittens

We've all heard the phrase "to treat with kid gloves" used to describe a need for gentleness and ease of touch. What's interesting is that kid gloves are made from the hides of young lambs. I'm doubtful that the former, natural owners of these hides were treated with the same special kindness that's used to describe such treatment of others.

I have owned a few pairs of kid gloves throughout the years. Sadly, I have never previously pondered their origin. I only wondered and marveled at their softness, lively dyed colors and snug fit. Would I feel better wearing them if I knew with certainty that the young lambs who sacrificed their lives for this human luxury were killed in a humane and spiritual manner? No! I don't need to wear these gloves, when there are so many superior and kinder versions - namely fleece and wool.

Fleece and wool kindly weave warmth and softness over us in times of chiliness. This is a far superior way to keep our hands and fingers happy in winter months. Therefore, I commit to fully reject kid gloves in favor of kinder, gentler sources of warmth. I also recommend a revision of that well known saying to better align with its meaning. So, from now on, I will be saying "to treat with warm woolen mittens" (Julie Andrews knew!) They're one of my favorite things and they're how I choose to treat others, and how I'd like others to treat me.

Stay Warm...
Kim :)

No comments:

Post a Comment